1UZ-FE/w58 into an Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hmmm, I doubt it. I still haven't gotten a chance to get through to either of you so we haven't met.

I've been watching Riekus's build threads on the 4x4 forums...

Rather stoked after finding an Ikeya Performance Sequential shifter for my gearbox today. Comes from one of the old touring cars here.
Bolted it down and tested, a bit tight but then the box is stationary . I'm sure dynamically it will work perfectly..

Nou ja...ons kap aan.

Im trying to convince BK to flow the heads and throw a couple of forgies in there,with a set of custom cams and so forth.

We just did this...
tur10.jpg
tur1.jpg

And running her at 16 degrees under boost with small turbos it did do 226rwkw and 464nm...but it hits a brickwall at 6000rpm and power drops away to just over 180rwkw at 6500rpm.

That,and an irritating compressor surge at 2800rpm...

I would love to get this set-up smooth and responsive.

Best we start eliminating problems one by one.

Are the wastegates connected to comp cover ?? Or hose joined and connected to inlet ??

It will require [IMO] more advance in the upper rpm.. How hot does the exh manifolds, turbine get ??

What size are the dump pipe and is the muffler a baffle type ??
If possible check exh back pressure between engine & turbine..

Modifying dump pipe at turbine so wastegate vents parallel. No 90* bends...

If you haven't already run colder plugs with .030 gap...You could be blowing the spark out ??

My project was really based on the outcome of this Cruiser conversion. Drove this and was instantly persuaded to go the TT route. Initially it was only a N/A engine transplant.
Well, Monster has persuaded me to go the extra (expensive) mile here.
We will be playing with a few alternate things to see where it can all be improved upon.

If there is renewed interest in this topic I will start posting pics and updates again.

Are the wastegates connected to comp cover ?? Or hose joined and connected to inlet ??

It will require [IMO] more advance in the upper rpm.. How hot does the exh manifolds, turbine get ??

What size are the dump pipe and is the muffler a baffle type ??
If possible check exh back pressure between engine & turbine..

Modifying dump pipe at turbine so wastegate vents parallel. No 90* bends...

If you haven't already run colder plugs with .030 gap...You could be blowing the spark out ??

Wastegates are connected to the comp cover.

Definitely would run Kriss' up to 20 degrees under boost.We would have to see where its happy.It gets hot,this was my first pointer to the timing being too slow.

Downpipes are 63mm and we have a bend right there.Do you suggest maybe running a slight piece of straight pipe and then the bend?What will be the benefits of this?

We are running NGK BCPR 7's at slightly bigger gaps than .03.We had a slight spark problem on the dyno,but increasing the coil charge time it went away.

Thanx for the interest.Any more suggestions will all go into the little red mystery book hehehehe.

Cheers.

Hard to explain but is the exhaust from wastegate exiting at 90* into exhaust turbine ?? I find opening up this section of dump pipe to cover the wastgate helps BOTH as the slower wastegate exhaust caused turbulance with the higher flowing exhaust from turbine.. Either an external pipe from wastegate and enter dump pipe about 10 to 18" down d pipe...
Much like this..
Mycar2big.jpg
I milled out the rear housing and covered it with dumo pipe then welded a stainless divider between the two.. It doesn't have to seal all that much. It only has to prevent turbulance.. Infact the exhaust helps draw exh through w gate...This made turbo's spool way earlier and pulled all they through to 6700 rpm...
I would try joining the the two wastegate hoses together so they work as one..
This should help to prevent surging as it seems one turbo is slightly set higher than the other on gate setting etc which can cause surging.. By paralleling them they SHOULD work as one...
dumppiperockers002.jpg
O/k this a V8 but all should be the same.. This combo makes 482rwkw / 650 rwhp...

Agree with you totally here..Yes, the Cruiser outlets are in fact "90" degree outlets. Saw that you had done this and will do the same.
We should have the heads back early next week , a mild reground cam setup and different intake manifold.(lower)
Currently Monster and co are sorting the differential out. My concern is my clutch selection !
Went for the Hilux d4-d turbo diesel setup as we were still heading in the N/A direction. Suddenly its boost and stuff..I am hoping the pressure plate will suffice , but will get the new clutch plate setup with sintered pads...

Hold thumbs here..

Gees, this project has really driven me to the end !
Monster and co politely handed me all my stuff with a one way ticket out of the shop .
I have taken my stuff and managed to find very enthusiastic youngsters with personal experience and drive that may just sort this project out for me ! So it is almost back to the beginning, my heads are still not finished, the springs are on back order from Alan in Ozz, the pistons and rods are on order from David(Lextreme) if I can get an invoice from him-David, please, have e-mailed a few times requesting an invoice so I can pay.._ and thats where I stand at the moment ! ! Not a happy chap and too deep into the whole shebang to pull out !! Did swap the two baby turbos for an early thick rod engine that will be used for spares as I go along...
I have always favoured a single turbo setup and I am finally going this route..

Yea, till I have something concrete, thats my update ..Not that exciting ..:mad:

Oh, a little ray of sunshine was the coil overs and rear springs I had made from our local Bilstein snail/tortoise chap. I finally got those ..
newimport1518.jpg
newimport1517.jpg

The O.Z.Magnesio wheels I got are also good, not the brightest choice I ever made, should have stuck with alliminium wheels here. They are in good nick though and look pretty descent on the car. Pics here were simply a trail fit to a VW Golf Gti..

newimport1345.jpg

I detest projects when they take this long !
I recieved my conrods from Argo Race in Ozz a while back, waiting for the C.P.pistons to be completed. Had feedback from C.P. that I may even have them before christmas !
That would be a bonus, if only so I could stare at them and rub them all over my body waiting for the engineering guys to start in Jan.

I also placed an order for the Garrett TO4 z BB turbo from ACP Turbo`s. I got that delivered to me this morning ! Damn, Im am finally getting my steam back up for this project !

Update and it is not pleasant ! How the best thought out plans and projects can go awry..! The big turbo fancy innards engine is now at the engineering firm after I recieved the rods, pistons , ARP stuff and ACL bearings ..also recieved the Tial 60mm waste gate, Gizzmo boost controller, my reworked heads and cams, most of the other stuff I had ordered.. Went and looked at my project Alfa . Man, was I disappointed !! NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE SINCE MARCH 15 last year.!! Well, the goal posts have now shifted. I have decided to purchase a Lexus Is 200 or 300 as the basis for this engine combo. Perhaps It will be completed in time for my retirement party...!

I once had big plans for a certain Italian car, but in the end, it wound up being a better piece of sculpture. Kind of a sad reality, but life is too short.

I enjoy reading about these "projects" that the mags do that are complete builds in six months or so. This is body & chassis work, as well as engine/tranny/ECU and dyno tuning. As if.....

Most of us do in years what these magazines purport to do in months.